OK so today this lady came in to school to get a perm... Ok, no big deal ------ until I see her. She's this fat 65 year old crippled woman (not that there's anything wrong with that, i'm just trying to give you a good visual image), and she's got a mullet. That's right, business in the front, party in the back --- a long, gray, mullet. She kept referring to it as "salt and pepper" but it was just pure gray. The top is about 2 inches long, and the back is to the middle of her back. And NO, she doesn't want it cut. Trust me, I asked her and so did every one of my instructors who were equally mortified by her style. And she wanted the TINIEST little yellow perm rods we have available. And I mean these things are tiny. They're like a centimeter in diamter. And I had to do it using piggy backs (not that any of you have any idea what that is, but essentially, you roll each section of hair into two rods instead of one, which means, yep, twice as much work!), and it took me FOUR hours! Four hours that I stood there on my poor feet and rolled her entire ugly mullet into curls, while she asked me about 50 times if I was getting it good and tight (i was.) And while she complained about how sick she is. This lady has every disease and ailment you could ever imagine. Seriously. She told me (three times) about her 3 back surgeries, neck surgery, rheumatoid arthritis, carpal tunnl syndrome, RDS, herniated disks, lung disease, liver disorder, thyroid problems, and how she just recently lost 50 pounds from a lap band surgery and was just learning how to walk again for the first time in 3 years. So after the four hour rolling process, during which my instructor was sitting next to me getting her hair highlighted (because she was so jealous of mine When I finally finished putting the chemicals on and rinsed her out and everything, she sits up and her ENTIRE back is soaked. Sopping. The idiot never told me I was getting her wet. She says she didn't know. I was so embarassed. Everyone was laughing at both of us. One of my instructors said "what did you do to her back" WELL what does it look like I did!?!?!? Stupid teacher, I hate her anyway. She also told the lady her hair turned out "just great". Ha! So anyway then she wants me to blow dry it. She didn't have time to get it set today so she's going to come back and get her free set sometime this week (i'm already praying they don't give her to me again). A set costs $4 but she was paranoid that they weren't going to give her the set that is included in the perm price (which is only $23). Anyway.... so after I blow dry it, she said "well it looks pretty good doesn't it? It turned out a little fuzzy though" UM well first of all, no, actually it doesnt look good because its a kinky gray mullet. And second of all... yes it looks fuzzy, that's because you wouldn't let me trim it, you made me use the tiniest rollers on earth, and then you made me blow dry it. Not that I would've rathered set it, because I don't even know how that would've worked. Oh, and she wanted to make sure her bald spot wasn't showing -- as if anyone was looking at her freaking bald spot. But after 4 excrutiating hours with this unpleasant mullet woman, it was all worth it because she left me a tip. She left me ONE WHOLE DOLLAR BILL. One dollar! A buck! Seriously, that is just rude. I would've rathered if she hadn't left me anything at all than a measly dollar. So I'm taking my dollar and I'm going to Panda to break my diet because I can. I've lost three pounds and I'll probably gain it all back in one night, but oh well. p.s. i know you didn't care about reading any of that, it probably doesnt even sound that bad to you and half of it doesnt make sense to non-hair stylists. But it was really bad, trust me, and this was the only way I knew how to get it off my chest without taking it out on Stephen or one of my walls. |
Tuesday, March 30, 2010
A Step Back in Time.......
I occasionally look back at my old Xanga, my first adventure in blogging, which I last posted on in 2006. I reread this post from cosmetology school and I love it! It was one of the worst days of my life, but I'm so glad I documented it. Oh the joys of hair dressing sometimes!
Tuesday, February 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment